Friday, May 30, 2014

Books for the Beast

On October 19, 2013 I attended Books for the Beast, http://www.prattlibrary.org/home/beastie.aspx.  The facebook page is https://www.facebook.com/pages/Books-for-the-Beast/88319893820 or like the page Books for the Beast.  This was the 4th time I had attended the conference.  I read 10 books from 2 categories (to be truthful I read 20 books as there was a mix-up on the categories I was registered for but enjoyed doing so).  We had book discussions on the 2 categories we read. I always like hearing the different takes on the books read, details I may have missed in my own reading, and read-alike recommendations.  The two presenters this year were very interesting:  Sharon Flake, author of Pinned, and Raina Telgemeier, author of Smile.  Both were very entertaining.  Books for the Beast is one of my favorite conferences to attend.  The exposure to books I may not normally read helps tremendously with Reader's Advisory.  This is the most important part of the event for me.

No comments: